Best Crab Joints in Annapolis, Maryland
Uncategorized l August 12, 2020
Hugging the Chesapeake Bay with over 3,000 miles of shoreline, Maryland boasts some mighty fine seafood. In fact, it’s so ingrained in the area’s food culture that in addition to the millions of crab bumper stickers you’ll see out on the street, there’s an official Maryland Crab & Oyster Trail. This culinary adventure guides fans through the state, helping them try all the notable seafood restaurants.
Whether you’re looking for tasty hard crabs, a savory softshell, or the state’s signature crab soup, Maryland’s famous blue crab dishes delight the taste buds of millions each year. With many delicious options in Anne Arundel County, we’ve narrowed down our favorite spots to satisfy your seafood craving.
What’s Crackin’ in Annapolis
- Cantler’s Riverside Inn. This waterfront restaurant has been run by the Cantler family for over 45 years. Fresh seafood and local crab are served daily. We recommend the soft shell crab platter; the crabs are fried until golden brown and full of flavor. With free docking when you arrive by boat, this is the perfect place to grab a bite after an afternoon on the Bay.
- Crab Towne USA. This casual seafood joint exudes charm. From the moment you see the fun sign from the road, you’ll be hooked. Extreme crab lovers can order their XCRABAGANZA, aka all-you-can-eat crab. It’ll be a tasty two hours, we promise. It also houses dozens of arcade games and pinball machines to entertain you before or after your meal for a lively atmosphere.
- Mike’s Crab House. This is another family-owned Annapolis seafood staple. Started in 1958 by Mike Piera, it has served amazing crab to multiple generations of Marylanders. If you’ve ever wondered what a real crab cake tastes like, try Mike’s.
- Wild Country Seafood. This is an unapologetically old-school crab shack. It maintains nontraditional restaurant hours, but for good reason. The owner and his team are out on the boats in the early morning, catching crab, oysters and fish for their lunch and dinner patrons, so it’s as fresh as you can get! Try one of the steamed Jumbo Crabs for a meal you won’t soon forget.
- Oak Grove Marina. This isn’t a restaurant, but a designated area where you can catch your own crabs! You can crab from the pier or from a boat. We recommend reading up on the basics of crabbing so you don’t get pinched. Each individual is allowed to catch up to two dozen crabs per day, so you can have a true feast after a good outing.
There you have it. If you’ve tried all of these, see the Crab & Oyster Trail for more ideas. If you love seafood — and especially crab — there’s no place better than Anne Arundel County. Tie on your bib and get out the shell cracker — it’s dinnertime!
Koch Homes has been a premier home builder in the area since 1951. Our reputation for craftsmanship and luxury is put on display in every home we build. The Annapolis area offers much more than great food, so if you’re looking for a wonderful community in the region, contact us for a consultation.